CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) - March/April 2020
A 'Consideration Guide, for Employers of Nannies and Domestic Staff'
In light of the current pandemic we would like to express our deepest sympathy on how difficult the current situation may be for you.
We are all in this unfamiliar situation together so would kindly ask that you treat any employees the way you would wish to be treated.
The Government has announced that everyone should self isolate and, where possible, work from home unless falling under the category of a 'key worker'.
Employers/Parents and Employees/Nannies should consider their own families safety and well-being under this current situation.
If your Nanny/Employee cannot work please consider the following:
Are you still working and being paid and or in the same financial position as before the Coronavirus began?
If the answer is 'yes', then apart from your Employee/Nanny being unable to work due to this virus we encourage you to continue to pay them as usual.
Have you lost your own income or had changes to your own financial circumstances? Our sincere sympathy goes out to you if this is the case as we realise you will also have some difficult decisions to make.
Below are some suggestions to help you through this period:
- Self Isolate SSP for up to 14 days (£94.25 per week) - Way2paye should be able to claim two weeks back for Clients from day one, however details on how to claim are still to be confirmed.
- Agree by mutual agreement a reduced salary- The rate must not drop below National Living Wage or National Minimum Wage.
- Agree to take holiday pay - Notice must be given and agreement must be 2 x notice period for holiday.
- Furlough for 3 weeks and up to 3 months - Way2paye may be able to claim this back for you. Please follow this link for further details https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme
- Make Employee/Nanny redundant - Standard redundancy procedures apply.
For further information please find a link to the Government website https://www.gov.uk/
please follow the Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do
at the top of the page.
HMRC have a dedicated help line for small employers due to the Coronavirus (COVID 19) regarding any concerns about paying tax liabilities. 0800 0159 559
If you wish to make any changes to your Employees/Nannies pay or have any queries to the above please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please Stay Safe.
Please note this is a guide only. It remains the responsibility of the Employer to make decisions based on their own circumstances.
You can download this as a handy printable PDF